Friday, August 23, 2013

Scoring Goals and Sores

       Let's flashback to Freshman year of high school. I have played soccer for a large portion of my life and when the time came, I decided to try out for my new high school's team. I was so afraid of all the older girls and scared to make a mistake. I did end up making the Junior Varsity squad and I was so excited and I still consider it one of my biggest achievements!  I made tons of friends from all different grades and got to know some other freshmen. After that season was over, I was comfortable with my team and the coaches. The next summer, before my sophomore year, I decided that I was going to try out for the Varsity team. I ran during the summer and worked on my ball skills. I was determined to make the team. Try-outs came along again, and I laid my foot work out on the field.
     Here comes the fun part- the part where things go wrong. It came time for the  head coach to announce the Varsity players. I'll admit I was nervous and thinking I didn't make it. He called out my name and I had a huge smile on face. I COULDN'T BELIEVE I MADE IT. My team mates congratulated me and welcomed me openly. Of course, there has to be a bad part to this story. About half way through our first practice, the head coach pulls me aside. I was in fear. He proceeded to  tell me that the JV was lacking players and that I would be moved down. Out of all the sophomores on the team, I was the one to be demoted. As a "cancellation prize" I would become the captain of JV. I went home and cried. I would love to tell you I was exaggerating, but I'm not. By the way, when it came time for the captains of JV to be announced, I wasn't one of them. I was added in later in the season, which I guess kinda counts. I'm not looking for pity or anything, I actually had an amazing time on the JV team. I got more than enough playing time and I made some new best friends. The point of this is coming soon I promise!
     This year, I am going into my Junior year. Once again, I tried out for soccer. Let's just say I came home with sore feet. The coach decided this year to tell the girls he was pulling up from JV. I was never told and I became too nervous to ask after my friend was denied a spot on Varsity. I was getting upset and was going into a depression.  I soon recieved a very long text from my coach explaining that I was indeed on Varsity and that he had told me the  prior season and he didn't feel the need to tell me again. I MADE IT AND FOR GOOD. I was jumping through the roof. I am so ready for the season to come!
    I honnestly just want to let you all know that sometimes it does turn bad, but some good does come out it. Even if I had been put on JV again this year, I would play and try out for varsity next year. My point is PLEASE PLEASE don't let the mishaps stop you from getting where you want to go. I have never been a lucky person, and  have never had anything handed to me on a plate. Most people are probably the same way (unless you're one of the  lucky people who naturally gifted) and please keep trying, or  moving forward as the Disney movie  Meet the Robinsons would say. I would love to hear some of your good and  not so good, but turned better stories. Thank you for reading thus far, and remember to "just keep swimming" (sorry about being as cliche as any one could be). See you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment