Monday, July 11, 2016

Broadway Bites

Hello everyone! Today's blog post is about this cute little pop up market in Greeley Square Park ( crossroads Ave of the Americas and 32nd).   I stumbled upon it about two weeks ago on my way to the Empire State building for a tourist-in-my-own-town adventure. It spans not even a block and a half, but contains 20 or so little booths of every type of cuisine one can imagine. From tacos to lamb burgers to korean barbeque, this little street stop has it all. I'll admit that I'm not a very adventurous eater, but I did try a few things over the span of three visits. I first had a simple grilled cheese ( just cheese) from Melt Kraft. It was gooey and slightly tangy. I wanted the classic tomato soup to go along with my sandwich, but the vendor was out of it. I settled for a bag of chips and a water and noted in my other trips that Melt Kraft was always out of soup, which is disappointing. 

Grilled Cheese from Melt Kraft

I stopped again while running some errands on my way home from work for some doughnuts from Doughnuttery and a lemonade from Renegade Lemonade. Both were delicious, as I went for 6 of the mini style doughnuts in two flavors, fruity cereal and cocoaboy. The flavoring is really just a type of powder they sprinkle on top of the crispy little rings. At Renegade Lemonade, there were several great and interesting options, some with chilly powder and others with sweet fixings. I went for a strawberry lemonade in slushy form. The server was wonderful and peppy as she chatted to me while shaving the ice right in front of me. The lemonade was a sweet, but not overly sugary drink, great for the hot summer day I was there.


The last time I was there I picked up a plain mac n cheese from Red Hook Lobster Pound. There was an option for lobster mac n cheese as well, but seafood doesn't tingle my taste buds. It was nice and creamy, although I was told they were out of the extra cheese topping ( a common theme was out of food). Not the best I have even had, as I prefer some bread crumbs on top, but it still wasn't hard to scarf down. For dessert, I went with something very new to me- nutella rice balls from Arancini Bros. Coated in brown sugar, these little guys were actually quite different than I expected. You couldn't really taste the rice, it just added a little bit of texture to the nutella and brown sugar. These were very filling, although I may have snagged some of my friend Emma's nutella filled churros as well. The churros were from the Paella Shack by Barraca. Also a wonderful dessert worth a try, and the lady who served us was dancing away and enjoyed her job thoroughly. 

Nutella Churro- Yum!

How cute are these walls? 

Ooooohhh Nutella Rice Ball


The atmosphere was great, metal tables and chairs lining the busy streets. My first visit, a table appeared almost instantly to my luck, as I had about 10 people come over asking for an extra chair I was holding. The third time I stopped by, tables were pretty easy to come by. It was a Tuesday around 4:00, so may that is why it wasn't too hard to find a seat. I would most definitely go back and maybe try a taco or a crepe. You can find a full list of vendors here as get there before July 17th when it closes for the summer. 
See you all soon! 
Claire 

No comments:

Post a Comment